Thursday, June 20, 2013

...a voice in my head...

Phillip Lopate, Columbia University
I am reading (and enjoying) Phillip Lopate's To Show and To Tell, a slim volume about the craft of literary nonfiction.  It is a nicely paced, mature elaboration on non-fiction with a special focus on essay. 

Here is a little morsel, to give you a taste, from a chapter entitled The made-Up Self :

"When I sit down to write, I hear a voice in my head.  Who sent me that voice?  Did I fabricate it?  If I did, I can't remember.  In my case (pace those who insist the self is multivalent), that voice is singular.  I don't hear voices; at this stage of life I'm too rigid and set in my ways, and so it tends to be the same damn voice jabbering on.  All I know is that I keep listening to that voice to surprise me, say something out of ordinary, provocative, mischievous, borderline dangerous."

Chicago flight

In haibun (a literary form originating in Japan), prose and verse (mostly haiku) coexist; the transition between them  brings on a “shift” t...